Sunday, January 1, 2012

Welcome to 2012 Mr. Messick

I learned a long ago that coming up with specific and drastic New Years Resolutions was a complete and total waste of time.  Studies show that over 80% of all New Years Resolutions are broken, so the numbers back up my thoughts.  However, I think that laying out a plan for how you can work to improve your life in the next 12 months is always a great practice.  What better way to make sure you stick to that plan than to post in on your blog so everyone can keep you in check?  So here is my plan for 2012 and beyond........

WORK:  2011 was a year of great nerves and uncertainty for everyone within my company.  When you are a part of the biggest merger in the history of the financial industry you never know what may come next.  In spite of all that, I was able to achieve being ranked within the top 10 bankers in the states of NC and SC.  After 5 years with my company I began to make a name for myself as a top performer and leader in my position.  Looking towards 2012 I have to take that to another level.  Ultimately I would like to move out of the retail banking side and into a more corporate setting to move my way up, but all that must come in time.  I am going to be more focused and more driven to lead by example and increase my competency as a financial service provider.

SOCIAL:  2012 is going to be a much dryer year as it pertains to the "fire water".  I am not making the claim that I will stop drinking and swear off alcohol forever, just slowing it down.  I have spent a good part of the last 29 years with a solid buzz and a light wallet and that time is winding down.  Ultimately this decision will probably be the best I make all year.

HEALTH:  My lifestyle and eating habits have really changed over the past 2 years in order to improve my health.  It seems that every health problem in the history of the world runs in my family and I have tried to head these off before they affect me.  High Blood Pressure, Heart Disease, respiratory problems, depression, alcoholism.....these are all things that I am predisposed to and that are a reality within my family.  I learned about 2 years ago just how serious blood pressure problems can be when my dad's doctors warned him that he was on a crash course with a heart attack.  Our eating habits and personalities mirror one another, so that was an eye-opening realization that I was likely on that same road.  I started a personal journey in 2010 to lose weight and improve my overall health.  30 pounds later I am in a much better place physically and mentally.  Building upon that base to bring my health to an even higher level is a huge focus moving forward. 

FAMILY:  I saved this one for last because it is THE MOST IMPORTANT on the list.  In 2012 I get the immense honor of carrying on the Messick family name.   I take on this responsibility with a lot of pride and excitement.  Bringing my son into this family is undoubtedly going to be the best day of my life and I cannot wait for April.  My only hope is that I am able to live up to the example set by my parents and to be half the parent that I know my wife will be.  Little Easton has no idea how much love he will find within the friendly confines of the Messick family.  A phenomenal Aunt & Uncle, cousins that will be his best friends, grandparents that will spoil him rotten every minute of every day, and parents that will drop everything else in their world to make sure he is happy and safe. 

2012 is set to be the BEST YEAR OF MY LIFE.  Bring it on.

No comments:

Post a Comment